Linux Graphic Tools
Recap: at my presentation at the July 1998 NTLUG meeting, I gave
demos of Blender, Moonlight Creator, POV-Ray, ImageMagick, Mesa, and Pryan.
All of these packages are available for free. I've also included
links to other free and non-free graphics tools for Linux. This list
is by no means complete. Enjoy.
3D Modeling/Animation Systems (free)
3D Modeling/Animation Systems (shareware/commercial)
- free 3D modeling package
Blender - free
3D design/animation package from NeoGeo
- free Open GL-based 3D modeling package similar to TrueSpace. Requires
Open GL or Mesa.
Modeler - modeler and GUI interface to POV-Ray raytracer
Mind's Eye - free 3D
- free 3D modeling package. Exports a variety of formats, including
POV-Ray and RenderMan.
- free 3D render and animation system
- free constraint-based modeling package
Virtuoso - free
3D modeling/animation package
3D Raytracing Systems (free)
- shareware 3D modeling system ($40 registration)
- shareware 3D modeling system ($25 registration)
3D Raytracing Systems (shareware/commercial)
POV-Ray - free 3D raytracer.
Well-established, fairly easy to use, and mostly bug-free. Scene
description language somewhat resembles C programming language.
- new free 3D object-oriented raytracer. Looks very promising.
Scene description language somewhat resembles C++ programming language.
(Not compatible with POV-Ray, though.)
- free 3D radiosity raytacer, developed at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- free 3D raytracer developed at Stanford University. Currently not
in active development.
3D Programming Libraries (free)
Rendering Tools - shareware RenderMan-compliant renderer.
NOTE: RenderMan is the rendering standard developed by Pixar. Among
other things, Pixar's PRMan commercial rendering package is the RenderMan-compliant
package used to create the movie Toy Story.
- commercial RenderMan-compliant renderer from Eidolon Research.
Free demo available. Full version is somewhat expensive ($950).
3D Programming Libraries (shareware/commercial)
- free Open GL "workalike" developed at the University of Wisconsin.
Used to program 3D graphics in applications.
- free GL Utility Toolkit. Easy to use. Adds some basic GUI
functionality to Open GL programs. Not functional enough for complex
Open GL-based applications, though. NOTE: GLUT is already shipped
with the Mesa source distribution. If you download Mesa, you do not
need to download GLUT as well.
- free GL TrueType library. Allows rendering of TrueType fonts in
free Open GL bindings for the Java programming language. Allows Open
GL programming in Java. Requires an Open GL implementation or similar,
such as Mesa.
Open GL Perl Module
- free Perl5 module for Open GL programming. (Somewhat outdated?)
- free Tk widget for rendering Open GL graphics. From the author
- free Open Inventor "workalike" that won second prize in TrollTech's Qt
programming contest. Requires the Qt widget library.
Paint/Image Manipulation Utilities (free)
- commercial Open GL bindings for Java.
Metro Open GL
- commercial Open GL implementation from Metro Link. Includes Metro-X
TGS Open Inventor
- commercial Open Inventor implementation from Template Graphics.
Image Display/Conversion Utilities (free)
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation
Program. Excellent free graphics package similar to Adobe Photoshop.
- simple free paint program for X.
Magick - excellent suite of free image display and conversion
Copyright © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 North Texas Linux
Users Group, Inc. All rights reserved.