[NTLUG:Discuss] DSL Modems

sdenny sdenny at hex.net
Thu Aug 5 20:28:41 CDT 1999

> GTE is running an offer on DSL install for $99 that gets me setup and
> the modem.  I don't know yet what brand or if it'll talk to Linux but
> it's an external 10BaseT.  Anyone know anything about this deal or the
> hardware involved?  Anyone know off hand what Linux friendly DSL Modems
> are available?

You will get a Fujitsu ADSL modem.  It is manufactured by Orckit
in Israel.  It will have a 10BaseT RJ-45 Ethernet jack on it and
will work just fine with Linux.  Just put an ethernet card in
your linux boxen.

Some day you will have a choice of ADSL modems really known as
an ATU-R (R means remote as opposed C for central off).  But for
now, you must use the "modem" that understands how to talk to the
other end at the telephone office.

Probably the next major event in ADSL will be the introduction of
G.Lite modems which you'll be able to buy at the friendly
computer/electronics stores and install yourself without a visit
from the telephone company.

Regards,

Stephen Denny                                 mailto:sdenny at hex.net
Hex.Net Superhighway                             http://www.hex.net