[NTLUG:Discuss] Video help please....

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Sat Aug 7 15:45:27 CDT 1999

Always...ALWAYS....check www.deja.com.  Usually someone has already been there...

Here's one posting:

Subject: Re: SiS620 configuration
Date:    1999/07/30
Author:  Amit Jaisingh <amit_jaisingh at hotmail.com>

Hi,

I think this problem has been raised quite a lot in this newsgroup...
Here is a detailed procedure for installing
this card.

I presume, you have downloaded the driver using windows...Now simply copy the
xsis.tgz file onto a floppy and follow the following steps:

1. Login as "root"
2. Type the command to copy xsis.tgz from your floppy to the HDD:

        tar xvfz xsis.tgz

3. Edit the file "Cards" using the following command:

        vi /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards

4. insert the following lines as they are

NAME SiS 620
CHIPSET SiS620
SERVER XFCom_SiS
NOCLOCKPROBE

5. Save the file using ---> ctl+W and exit
   This portion will be easy...you can check the menu at the
   bottom of the screen.

6. type "xf86config" (obviosly without quotes) at the prompt, to start the
x-configurator.

7. Choose settings for your mouse, keyb, etc. When asked "whether you
want to view the Cards file, say "yes"

8. Select the Card SiS620..It will be no. 509 (or somewhere near) in the list.
9. Select 5 when asked to choose server
10. Use default settings for modes (option 5) when promped
11. Choose no clockchip, when promped for it.
12. Reply in affirmative when linux prompts you for automatic link creation and when
writing the "XF86Config" file.

13. Now edit the file XF86Config using vi /etc/X11/XF86Config (i'm not sure this
can be /etc/XF86Config also....try the former one first).

14. Under the Section "Device", insert the following line (For clearity insert them
after the lines Identifier
                      ..., VendorName ..., BoradName ...,

                      Option "noaccel"
                      Option "no_linear"
                      Option "sw_cursor"

15. If a  # preceedes VideoRam 4096, remove the #.
16. Save the file
17. Type startx to start the X-Server.....this should do it

If in confusion, check out the file ---
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.XFCom_SiS

or www.suse.com

If you need my help give me a shout....