[NTLUG:Discuss] cross-compile to vxworks (m68k) from linux

Seth Daniel seth at ti.com
Thu Aug 19 14:04:03 CDT 1999

I'm beginning to suspect that my target is wrong.  I have a few
pre-compiled binaries that work fine under vxworks, but if I
run a ``m68k-elf-nm'' on one of these binaries it complains
that it doesn't recognize the format.  I wonder if there are more
m68k targets for gcc than m68k-coff and m68k-elf??

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 01:27:30PM -0500, Greg E wrote:
> When you cross-compile for another target you need to link with
> libraries for that target as well.  I'm not familar with vxworks
> off hand, I assume it's an OS for the device?  Device dependend
> libraries and drivers you will either need to get from the OEM or
> develop yourself.  Check the GNU site for a generic m68k
> cross-compiler.
>
> Greg E
>

> Seth Daniel wrote:
> >
> > Greg,
> >
> > I have no less than two cross-compilers compiled
> > here.  One is GCC which targets "m68k-coff" platforms, the
> > other targets "m68k-elf" platforms.  I compiled a simple
> > hello world program and attempted to ``ld'' the program
> > from the vxworks prompt.  Neither one worked.  I don't
> > know if it's something obvious I'm missing in the code
> > portion, or if it's something with the cross-compiling.
> > Either way I could not get it to work. :o(
> >
> > I can send the code, or the output from ``ld'' if anyone
> > thinks they can help.
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 10:19:43AM -0500, Greg E wrote:
> > > Seth Daniel wrote:
> > > Seth,
> > >
> > > Cross-compilers are really pretty simple as all they really do is
> > > produce the code native to the target selected.  I've never looked
> > > for a Linux cross-compiler but I'd be supprised if GNU doesn't have
> > > one considering Linux runs on M68K systems.  If the worst case and
> > > you can't find a Linux version you could get a DOS version and run
> > > it with dosemu.  I use to use a cross-compiler in the MK Tool Kit
> > > package several years ago that was pretty good, don't know about
> > > cost and I can't remember the company off hand but they were out
> > > of Canada.  Another company here in Dallas called Microtech Research
> > > makes an Xray68k product that would work, atleast use to make.  I've
> > > been out of embedded work for almost 5 years so I've lost touch with
> > > the status of the current available tools.
> > >
> > > Greg E

seth daniel  |  Texas Instruments DMOS4/5
seth at ti.com  |   Automation Engineering