[NTLUG:Discuss] crackers

cbbrowne@godel.brownes.org cbbrowne at godel.brownes.org
Fri Aug 27 18:45:15 CDT 1999

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:38:23 CDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Daniel Shipman <daniel at srjmarketing.com>  said:
> Greg E wrote:
> > Given this discussion I have an idea (ouch that hurt) for NTLUG.  Given the
> > level of security knowledge here (not mine) could NTLUG establish a service
> > where they could test the security of a system for a reasonable fee.
>
> I'd pay!!!
>

> What a wonderful idea - Greg I think we should all put you incharge of
> that one - not really - it's just that it seems everytime I have a good
> idea for something at church they all look at me and say - Daniel -,
> that's a good idea! You should head up that committee.
>
> But I am interested in the service

This isn't necessarily something that should be directly run under the
auspices of NTLUG proper; it seems to me that it would be a real nice
idea for all sorts of services to spring off relatively independantly.

If there is a widespread enough set of interest, it would make a whole
*lot* of sense for someone to run a tutorial on "security," and for
some sort of "Security SIG" to coalesce if it makes sense for it to
coalesce.

If the "Security SIG" turned into the "Texas Linux Security Service,"
it's anyone's guess whether that ought to be in scope as a sort of
"subsidiary" of NTLUG, or perhaps someone's new consulting practice.

I'd tend to think that the latter is likely more appropriate; where
connection may come in is that it would make sense for "TLSS" to help
sponsor the running of the North Texas Linux Conference, perhaps paying
in to help pay costs, as well as (perhaps) charging something to run a
tutorial session.

Note: These are just ideas; I'm not trying here to speak as an Official
Mouthpiece of NTLUG Inc.
--
(About "LyGNUx") - "Your midwife doesn't select the name of
your babies." -- Linus Torvalds, May 5, 1999, ABC News