[NTLUG:Discuss] Securing a RH6.0 box

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Sun Aug 29 23:57:01 CDT 1999

I'm running a Red Hat 6.0 box, and I've given an Indian hacker/friend
permission to attack it in one week. He's strongly hinted that he plans
to do a buffer overflow. The only conditions are a) petty DoS isn't fair
game unless it results in root access, and b) rm -rf / isn't legal. I
need advice on securing this box. What insecurities exist by default on
RH6.0? I really want to defeat this dude :)

Thanks!
-Reeves

--
In a world without fences, why do we need Gates?
J. Reeves Hall - Georgia Tech (CS Major)