[NTLUG:Discuss] Help on replacing My Wingate Server

Russ Brewer brewer at dad.adelphia.net
Sun Sep 12 20:16:01 CDT 1999

Ray Foley wrote:

> Ok I have gotten a little help from David and I thank
> Him but I am still spinning my wheels. He suggested
> that I read the NAG (Network Admin Guide) and
> that was a great suggestion but now I realize how
> uneducated I am in doing the IP Masqurading.
> The main problem that I see is that there are hundereds
> of ways of doing the same thing. I need one exact step
> for step way of doing this. The parameters that I have
> are that I already have static IP's assigned to each of
> my workstations which I found out I must keep due to
> to applications that I use for work that don't like to
> have the IP address Dynamicly assigned. I also want one
> single server of my three to do an automatic dialup just like
> the dialup adapter does in Windoze. I have been through
> several PPP configs and now I'm more confused. Can
> someone start from a brand new install of ReadHat 6.0 install
> that comes from the CD that we get from Linux Central and
> step me through what I need to have for a basic install to do
> these tasks. I can start from the basic install at any time and
> rebuild my servers any why I need to. I know SAMBA well
> enough to get around that setup and just need to get over this
> hill --- mountain so I can meet some basic objectives for work
> this year. This Info will also be taught to the beginners in the
> beginners group. The books Including NAG give to many
> examples of to many ways to do the same thing.
> While this makes for a great overall book, I am a beginner
> that knows only what he has tinkered with and I need lots of
> detail from start to finish. I think I speak for most beginners
> in this matter.
>
>                                             Thanks ahead for the Help
>                                             Ray Foley
>                                             Beginners Group Leader

I am using RH 6.0 on my home network.  I upgraded from RH 5.2 which
used ipfwadm.  RH 6 uses ipchains.  However ipfwadm-wrapper can be
used to allow ipfwadm commands to run in an ipchains environment.

To enable masquerading I put the following in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

    /sbin/depmod -a
    /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp

    /sbin/ipfwadm-wrapper -F -p deny
    /sbin/ipfwadm-wrapper -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

Russ Brewer