[NTLUG:Discuss] Help on replacing My Wingate Server

Ray Foley rmfcons at airmail.net
Sun Sep 12 23:41:36 CDT 1999

Ok I have gotten alot of help with the Ipchains part now what
the real issue is: How does anyone do the auto dialup part. How
does anyone setup routing. How does anyone define gateway
addresses and soforth. I have read through about 5 different books
and I can still see 100 different ways to do the above. I have gotten
the impression that this is easy as many have told me that RH6.0 does
this out of the box. I must be doing my install incorrectly as I cannot
make this happen or I am not defining what I am trying to do. The
basic concept here is that (for example sake I will use example IP's
here)
I have a workstation that has a static IP of 192.168.0.8 and a Linux
server
that I want defined as IP address 192.168.0.254. Now when Netscape is
opened on my workstation 192.168.0.8, I want the server, 192.168.0.254
to autodial my Internet America account, Login, and connect using the
PPP
protocol. Then any further request from Netscape will be routed to
Internet
America by the server 198.168.0.254 using its dynamicly assigned IP
address
it was given by IA. This is what most people that are starting out with
more than one machine will setup so I really want to know the details of

how this stuff works so I can teach others.

                                                        Thanks again
                                                        Ray Foley
                                                        Beginners Group
Leader