[NTLUG:Discuss] Hillcrest idea -- need for volunteer(s)?

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Fri Oct 1 08:00:37 CDT 1999

TJ Bell wrote:

> Sounds like maybe something that could be done for Steve's idea of the
> 24hr game??

It would certainly be possible to write a Crowther/Woods style adventure
game in 24 hours once the game mechanics had been worked out.  Pretty
much
any competant programmer could do that single handed I think.

(I was planning something a little harder for the 24 hour thing).

The hard thing in a text-based adventure is to ensure that you can find
items in an inappropriate order and that you think of all the likely
combinations of words people might use for a particular action.

(Drop bird, release bird, open cage, free bird, free canary, undo cage,
open cage-door, uncage bird, etc)

> > I'd like -- blame last meeting over this -- that will run on Linux, Mac,
> > Windows... but will require a linux server.  I want for any computer or
> > most computers in the school to be able to handle this thing....
>
> Sounds like plib is in order!!

PLIB really depends on having 3D hardware - which the Hillcrest machines
certainly don't have - and this kind of text-only (or text+still images)
adventure doesn't need that degree of sophistication.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1 at airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker