[NTLUG:Discuss] [Fwd: [WTLUG:discuss] Microsoft FUD]

Kevin Brannen kbrannen at gte.net
Wed Oct 6 02:33:33 CDT 1999

"Jay F. Cox" wrote:

> Here is the original link if my forward didnt work for you.
> http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp

There is so much "stupidity" on that page, it's almost funny.  The best
one (IMO) is:

The cost of the operating system is only a small percentage of the
overall total cost of ownership (TCO). In general Windows NT has proven
to have a lower cost of ownership than UNIX. Previous studies have shown
that {Windows NT has 37 percent lower TCO than UNIX}. There is no reason
to believe that Linux is significantly different than other versions of
UNIX when it comes to TCO.

That last sentence there is truly incredible (and unbelievable).  There
is also a link in there that show _some_ of the details of a single
study.  If you read careful, you'll see that they are comparing 2
different classes of systems.  It's like they said, "Gee, an apple has
some red, and a watermelon has some red; let's compare them!"  Anyway,
if you were to answer the same questions for Linux, it would definitely
be cheaper than NT!

I'm helping my client put in a firewall machine for a new office; and by
picking Linux, I've saved them $1500+, and that's only on software.
Plus they get to use an existing machine (an older one) instead of
having to go by a new machine to run NTServer.  [I wonder if I can get a
cut of that savings? ;-]

Can we change the term to FUDS?  ( & Stupidity )

Kevin