[NTLUG:Discuss] Comparison of CVS and SrcSafe

George E. Lass George.Lass at osc.com
Wed Nov 3 09:30:52 CST 1999

Chris Cox wrote:
<snip>
> Neither tools is ideal.  I like SCCS over RCS mainly for
> it's easy embedding...however, I note that it's just
> commercial Unix....AT&T is too proud (?) to release
> the source and make it more widely available.  So, from
> a "free" side, RCS is the defacto winner.

Actually there IS a GNU'ed version of SCCS called CSSC!
I have been using it for over 2 years and it works as
well as the commercial version that I used under SYS V
for over 8 years.  You can find download details here:

http://freshmeat.net/news/1999/03/26/922440732.html

I've never used RCS so I can't enter into the comparison
discussion, but I do know that Linux "make" has built in
inference rules to automagically check dependencies &
extract (get) sccs/cssc files in order to build executables.

George Lass
--
... Unix IS a user friendly O/S ...
(It's just picky about its friends)