[NTLUG:Discuss] Can't Get XCDroast/SCSI Support To Work

Mark Bickel Mark.Bickel at ericsson.com
Wed Nov 3 16:48:05 CST 1999

jv wrote:

> Okay, I just went through this exercise of re-compiling my kernel to
> include SCSI support so that I can use XCDroast.  Apparently, what I
> did wasn't right because I still get the "no SCSI support found"
> message when I run the application.  I'm using Caldera 2.3 and I've
> looked at their website but their tech support page offers no real
> insight into doing this for 2.3.  Is it different for every distro?
> Is anyone able to burn CDs with a different distro?

OK,  I use XCDRoast under COL 2.3 w/ no problems. Remember that
XCDRoast  is just a front end to
the cdrecord utility. You did not state what model CDR you have,  but I
am assuming  here that it is SCSI.
You also did not state what type of SCSI  controller you have. You
probably did not need to recompile the
kernel to get this all working.  Loading the proper module should be
enough  to get the CDR drive to read
regular CD-ROMS (probably as /dev/scd0 ?). You can load the modules
manually w/ insmod command or
using  Caldera's  COAS utility "coas /usr/bin/coastool kernel" or from
the  KDE menu: COAS -> Kernel.
COAS kernel configurator does some autodetection of hardware, which may
help in configuring for SCSI.
In addition to the SCSI driver you need loopback device support
enabled.  Again, this can be loaded as a
module. Once you have gotten everything working you can recompile the
SCSI and loop devices into the
kernel if you want..

Also you may (or may not) want to set up CDR to automount as a secondary
CD-ROM drive. To do this
edit  /etc/am.d/localdev and add a line like:         cdrom
dev:=/dev/scd0;addopts:=ro,utimeout=10

Regards,
Mark.Bickel at ericsson.com