[NTLUG:Discuss] DSL vs. Cable modem

Matt Midboe matt at snsnet.net
Fri Dec 10 01:32:14 CST 1999

Lance wrote:
> This is not true, The phone co. builds your connection in their ATM
> equipment using pre-defined profiles for certain up and download speeds,
> the ISP then can limit or not limit as the ISP see's fit.
> but the ISP can not give you more bandwidth than your profile at the
> phone co. allows.

Yes this is true. I just wasn't drawing that fine a distinction on it. My main
point was that the bandwidth for cable modems and ADSL are not the same
everywhere. The available bandwidth is determined from am amalgamation of
issues, and you are right that some of those are beyond even the ISP's control.

Matt
matt at snsnet.net