[NTLUG:Discuss] Need a little more elbow room.

Tom McDonald tom at compuclaim.com
Tue Dec 14 19:56:42 CST 1999

Stephen Klein wrote:

> Howdy all, :)
>
> I'm getting a little short on space on my 4.3GB drive (too much source
> code lying around I guess ;-) ), I have a new 13GB drive that I decided
> to use for an upgrade.  Anyone know a quick and relatively way to
> transfer the contents of the old drive to a new larger drive. I need to
> end up with an exact duplicate of the old filesystem.
>
>         I am well aware of the large disk issues, I have already gotten this
> drive to boot into Linux successfully, I just don't want to have to
> rebuild all of the modifications (somewhat modified is a bit of an
> understatement) I've made to my Slackware 3.5 system.  I also know that
> I'll have to run LILO on the new drive once I get things transferred, so
> you don't have to bother mentioning that fact. :)
>
>         I'll probably boot with the old drive mounted read-only, mount the new
> drive with write-enabled, and then transfer the data.  That's the point
> where I need help, what do I do to copy the entire contents of the old
> disk to the new disk.  I could probably figure it out eventually, but
> with my job I just don't have time.  I also have plans for the old drive
> that are limited by time somewhat.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen
>
> TI DMOS4/5 ADSM Project
> DFW Technology
>
> Born'n raised in Tejas, an' proud of it.

If you want to copy a dir tree from one filesystem
to another, you might try something like --

#cd /
#find copydir -print } cpio -pdluam /newsys

This will copy all files, directories, and links,
even the special files.  You will get errors on
the attempt to copy the hard links across the
filesystems of course, and may have to do some
clean up by hand.

--
Tom McDonald <tom at compuclaim.com>

Ten persons who speak make more noise than ten
thousand who are silent.
		-- Napoleon I