[NTLUG:Discuss] AMD K6 200 vs Pentium MMX 200

Gregory A. Edwards greg at nas-inet.com
Fri Dec 24 10:12:17 CST 1999

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, you wrote:

> THere is a hardware bug in at least some AMD K6-200's.  This bug
> only seems to show up under Linux - and had only been seen to affect
> the GNU C/C++ compilers - and only then if you have more than 32Mb RAM.
>
> I have a 266MHz AMD - and when I found there was a problem (the GNU
> compiler guys told me it was a hardware bug), I called AMD. They
> claimed that the problem only affected 133MHz parts and that it
> was fixed in the 200's and later.

[snip]

> So, I found owning an AMD to be a *SERIOUS* pain.  If you plan to
> compile programs - and need >32Mb - get the Intel part.
>
> --
> Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
> sjbaker1 at airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker
> sjbaker at hti.com      (work)

Is this a problem with the AMD running the compiler or the AMD running the
compiled code?  I have an AMD K6 233 that is currently a Win9x workstation only
that I'm about to setup as a dual boot.  My Cyrix 6x86 200 has shown no
problems using the 586 (?) option for kernel compiles.  I have no intentions to
do any upgrades of cpu on the Win9x box to add the dual, it's a 64M machine.
This machine will also be a workstation for users and no development will be
done on it so other than the kernel I have no need to do any complies.  I
assume the out-of-the box kernel (RH6.1) does not have any problems?

--
Greg Edwards
New Age Software, Inc.