[NTLUG:Discuss] Mandrake 7 -- review / Bootable root raid partitions

Richard Cobbe cobbe at directlink.net
Wed Mar 1 17:34:05 CST 2000

sunflower1043 at juno.com wrote on 2-29-2000:

> On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:41:27 -0600 "Dan Carlson" <dmcarlson at prodigy.net>
> writes:
> > Which kernel version does it use?
>
> 	Appears to be 2.2.14-15 (I'm unsure of the significance of the last
> digits, -15)

Well, for RedHat, those digits refer to the release of the package
containing the kernel.  Since Mandrake is based off RH, I'd assume that
they're the same thing.

You can change that -15 really easily, actually: edit the toplevel kernel
Makefile (likely in /usr/src/linux/Makefile) and change the value of the
EXTRAVERSION variable.  I find this useful when I build a custom kernel, so
I keep my builds apart.

Richard