[NTLUG:Discuss] SETUID on Shell Scripts Question

Brian briank at hex.net
Mon Apr 3 11:09:12 CDT 2000

MadHat wrote:
> since perl is a scripting language, I know this is not correct (unless
> the default in the newer kernels is to have the ability turned on,
> 'cause I didn't set it).

Well, if you haven't tried it yourself, then I guess you really don't
know, do you?  You can't create a suid perl script that will run
anything with a effective UID of root on a kernel > 2.0.38.  You can put
a C wrapper around it.  This is explained in minute detail in the blue
camel book.

However, if you have a workaround, I would be most interested in seeing
how you do it.

There is a header #define in the kernel sources you can modify to allow
you to run a suid script, but at the cost of compromising system
security.

  --Brian