[NTLUG:Discuss] mail woes

Greg Hewett ghewett at d-tech.net
Tue Apr 18 09:32:03 CDT 2000

Netscape uses pop to recieve you mail and SMTP to send your mail.  SMTP is
kinda like using the MTA on another host in order to send your mail.

I was having this problem when I was using mutt, because mutt must use a
command to send mail like sendmail.  My quick solution was to use a simple
program called ssmtp which is like a replacment for sendmail in sending
email.  You can get the url from www.mutt.org. The real solution was to get
sendmail working properly.  My problems with sendmail have always been DNS
problems.  *Most* of the time, the ditro's sendmail.cf's are usable in a
normal environment.

I would check sendmail documentation and/or DNS docs.

greg

On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 11:24:47PM -0500, Kevin Brannen wrote:
> I've got a SuSE 6.3 system running sendmail.  Normally, I use Netscape
> as my mail agent.  It can currently send and receive (POP3) from my
> ISP (GTE).  So it can either correctly talk to sendmail, or else it
> bypasses it (I think the later as I don't see any evidence of effort
> in /var/log/mail).

> I'd like to considering using something other than Netscape, say
> "mutt".  And I'd like to just be able to do "mailx user at domain < file"
> to automate some software.  But when I do that command, say to send to
> myself as a test, it doesn't seem to send properly.  When I do "mailq"
> I get:
>
>                 Mail Queue (1 request)
> --Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time-----
> ------------Sender/Recipient------------
> XAA01800    27528 Sun Apr 16 23:10 kevin
>                  (Deferred: Connection reset by mtapop2.gte.net.)
>                                    kbrannen at gte.net
>
> and it just stays there.  To state the obvious, something's wrong! :-)
>
> Can someone suggest a HOWTO or other document that can lead me thru
> making this work?  I can remember participating in a discussion here
> that contained a side-discussion on sendmail -v- qmail as a MTA.  I
> really don't care which gets used, just as long as something works.
> :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

				 Greg Hewett