[NTLUG:Discuss] Win2K & Linux (Was: Tcl/Tk)

Jeremy Blosser jblosser at firinn.org
Mon May 1 23:02:30 CDT 2000

I missed the beginning of this thread, hopefully I'm not being redundant...

Gregory A. Edwards [greg at nas-inet.com] wrote:
> Steve Baker wrote:
> > "Gregory A. Edwards" wrote:
> > >
> > > Depending on the horse power he's got take a look at VMWare
> > > (www.vmware.com IIRC).  For $100+/- you can get a non-business license
> > > and run non direct-x window apps without dual-booting as a simple X
> > > app.

I can run Starcraft (a Windows game requiring DirectX) at normal speeds in
VMware 1.x.  They don't claim to have DirectX support, but it seems to work
fine... I have to imagine version 2.x is even better.

> > Have you tried the OpenSourced clone of VMWare? (I forget what it's called)

FreeMware, aka plex86... which isn't at all useable by the masses yet.

> > >  I looked at it a couple months ago but my biggest box is a 233Mhz
> > > and it really needs at least 266Mhz.  My new Athlon should do the trick
> > > when I get it built.

Are you still talking about VMware?  I do the above on a P150 w/MMX laptop,
running two concurrent X sessions as well.  Granted, I have 144MB RAM, but
still...

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser at firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/