[NTLUG:Discuss] Kernel Source Code [New User]

Richard Cobbe cobbe at directlink.net
Tue Jul 4 13:07:01 CDT 2000

Lo, on Tuesday, 4 July, 2000, Shel Johnson did write:

> I'm attempting to recompile the kernel for my NIC.. For me to do that, I
> need to make sure that "the kernel source code" is included.. I'm running
> Storm Linux 2000.. Can anyone tell me where I'm supposed to look for
> it??.. THX...

Kernel source, on every system that I've seen, is in /usr/src/linux.  This
is usually a symlink to a directory containing a specific version of the
kernel source code, e.g., /usr/src/linux-2.2.16.

RedHat packages up this stuff into two separate RPMs, kernel-source and
kernel-headers.  I don't know if TurboLinux does something similar or not.

Richard