[NTLUG:Discuss] what does 'HUP' mean?

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Wed Jul 19 20:42:31 CDT 2000

m m wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> A vety stupid question: what does 'HUP' mean?

An abbreviation for 'Hangup' I think.

It probably means that you should do a 'kill -1 {process_id}' because
signal number 1 is:

  Signal     Value     Action   Comment
  SIGHUP        1        A      Hangup detected on controlling terminal
                                or death of controlling process

> "... into ~alias/.qmail-uucp-default. (For some UUCP software you will need
> to use -d instead of -df. Also, you may need to insert a space between
> -a and "$SENDER" for bounces to work properly.) If qmail-send is
> running, give it a HUP."

...yep - I think that's what it means.  That signal will make qmail-send
think that the 'controlling terminal' hung up - so it rereads the config
file and tries again.

I could be way off base here though.  If someone else answers - believe
them instead of me!

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker at link.com>