[NTLUG:Discuss] Ethernet PC card recommendations? VPN through firewallconfig?

Kevin Brannen kbrannen at gte.net
Mon Aug 7 15:49:41 CDT 2000

Mark Bickel wrote:

> Yep, PC Card = PCMCIA. It's for a laptop. Wondering about
> whether 3com is really worth the money, vs intel or tulip
> chipset based cards. Good Linux compatability a plus, but
> for the moment anyway this is going on a Win98 laptop. Only
> way I might get my wife to consider a dual boot would be
> for me to replace the HD with a bigger one (Compaq Pressario
> 1294 notebook has 2.5 GB drive). Anyone have experience with
> changing out HDs on a notebook/laptop?
>
> Mark.Bickel at ericsson.com

I solved that by putting a second HD in my modular bay, so that I always have
2 HDs in the machine.  Since I always have a network around, I'm not concerned
about losing my floppy (my machine has a builtin CD).

If you can't do that, consider putting the bigger HD in the extra bay,
partition it as needed, copy all the stuff over, then move the bigger one over
into the primary HD bay taking the smaller out.  That should work.  (in theory
anyway :-)

If you don't have a modular bay to do that with, the job is rougher, but still
doable.  Just backup your HD somewhere, put in the bigger HD, partition it as
needed, then restore.

Finally, load Linux. ;-)

HTH,
Kevin