[NTLUG:Discuss] Routing BROADCAST messages.

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Thu Aug 17 15:13:47 CDT 2000

I have a strange problem.

I'm trying to write a program to broadcast UDP commands to a bunch of computers
on a local 10baseT network - but the computer I'm working on also has a
modem with a PPP connection to an ISP.

When I try to broadcast, one of two things happens:

  1) If the modem is connected to the ISP, all the broadcast
     messages to the modem - there is zero activity on my
     local network.

  2) If the modem is not connected, the 'sendto' function
     returns a 'Network is unreachable' error.

The 10baseT network is functioning OK.

I assume there is something in the pile of incomprehensible
routing tables, ifconfig, etc settings that I have to tweak...
but after beating myself over the head with man pages and
FAQ's - I'm no closer to getting this to work.

*help*!

Does anyone have an idea what I need to touch?

I have SuSE 6.4 with a 2.2.14 kernel.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker at link.com>