[NTLUG:Discuss] Mandrake questions

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Fri Aug 18 13:17:28 CDT 2000

Kevin Brannen wrote:

> "./aal" wrote:
> >
> > Kevin Brannen wrote:
> > >
> > > If you look at SuSE 6.x, you'll find that it is RPM based; or at least there
> > > are RPMs all over my CDs. :-)  That doesn't touch the Pentium based build
> > > issue, or probably other Mandrake issues, obviously.
> > >

> > SuSE uses rpms  ...but only suse rpms
>
> Maybe you can explain that to me.  I thought an RPM was an RPM.  Now, as for
> installation of binary packages, SuSE's may install to different places than
> say RH's or Mandrake's or anyone else's, but that's a configuration thing.
> I've installed RPMs from other sources than SuSE and have had no problems
> (e.g. Metorlink's Motif packages).

I'm not sure of the technicalities - but someone contributed a Mandrake-specific
RPM of one of my OpenSourced projects - and I blindly put it up on my web
site.  I've since had several emails from people who installed that on
NON-MANDRAKE systems and subsequently had no end of peculiar problems.

I deduce that you can't blindly move RPM's from one distro to another - although
why that should be rather escapes me.

> > A friend if mine is running SuSE and has almost given up on linux as
> > a result of SuSE's "uniqueness". SuSE has a very different approach
> > to most every function and service. Which makes almost every HOWTO
> > and any other general audience help doc confusing in the extreme.

I use SuSE - and I have not found that to be the case.

> > SuSE IS a great distro
> > just NOT for newbies

The handful of newbies that I've passed on older copies of SuSE to have
not reported any problems back to me - but YMMV.

> They admin tool YAST is different, but quite useable (but I'm avoiding your
> point as I didn't start using SuSE until I'd been using Linux for several
> years).  And yes, they do store _some_ files in different places than RH.

That is a major hassle - but SuSE are not the only ones with that problem.
As a package maintainer, I find it a REAL PAIN IN THE ASS that no two
distro's can agree on where my package should be installed.  So far, it
can be found in:

   /usr/local/lib/plib
   /usr/local/plib/lib
   /usr/lib
   /usr/X11R6/lib/plib
   /usr/X11R6/lib
   /usr/share/plib/lib
   /usr/opt/plib/lib

...that's SEVEN different places on seven different distro's...and that's
despite me stating VERY clearly in all my documentation that there is only
one place where I *require* distributors to place it. (/usr/lib as it happens)

>  But I've never had any problems making stuff work when using the HOWTO's (e.g.
> network & nfs); maybe I've just been lucky. :-)

Exactly....and if it's just luck - then I've been lucky too.

> I do look forward to the group (don't remember their name) who's working on a
> standard setup for system files.  All the major distros are involved as I
> recall.  It's one more thing "Linux" needs to wage war for the desktop. :-)

The problem is that "Linux is Linux is Linux" - the only thing the various
distro's can truly do to distinguish themselves in the eyes of buyers is
their ease of installation.

Hence the 'big name' distro's are not likely to be very enthusiastic about
wiping out their one remaining big market discriminator.

I'd expect to see the not-for-profit distro's embracing this - and perhaps
some of the minor players - but I'd be very suprised to see SuSE, RedHat or
Mandrake drop their existing installers for a standardized tool.

> Maybe your friend needs to join NTLUG? :-)

There is no 'maybe' about it!

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker at link.com>