[NTLUG:Discuss] Umm, I'm in need of some advice.

kevin3@ont.com kevin3 at ont.com
Thu Aug 24 19:16:05 CDT 2000

Damien Rakh wrote:

>      Okay, my parents are shipping me a new computer, and it has 10 gigs of
> hard-disk space, so I think I have enough room to partition the hard drive
> and install Linux on one.  HOw would I go about making it so that my
> computer lets me choose at bootup which operating system to go to?  Thanks
> guys and gals.
>
>                                                     ~Mark

Hello Mark,

    You will recieve alot of opinions on how to do this, but I have been using
a boot manager for 5 years now, and it has never given me any problems. It is
easy to install, configure, and it is also licensed under the GPL.
    I will include quite detailed instructions as to how to do a mutli-boot
install. You may not need such step by step instructions, but inevitabaly a
real newbie will read this and be greatful for a little more precise set of
instructions.
    You are more than welcome to use Lilo to dual boot. But I like to stick
with and recommend what I know works for me.

1) Go to  http://www.xosl.org/  and download the latest copy of XOSL.  Read up
on it while you're there.

2) Create a new folder on your Windows drive, I named mine xosl, and extract
your zip file to that directory. ( There are other ways of installing and
using XOSL, but I am the one giving advice, so if you stray from these
direstions , dont blame me.)

3) Read the doumentaion you will find in that folder.

4) Shutdown your machine into dos mode.

5)  at the C:\ prompt, go into the XOSL folder.  "cd xosl"

6) Run "install" and follow the directions. I install to the Fat 32 partition.

7) When prompted, reboot your machine.

8) Upon reboot, you will find yourself at the XOSL boot screen." Preferences "
setups how XOSL looks and works,  and then " Setup " configures different boot
options you will have on each bootup. (if you have read the instructions and
documentation, this should be no problem)

9) Boot into windows with XOSL.

10) Once back into windows. Run Scandisk, and then Defrag your hard drive (
this is one commonly made mistake on any Linux install which can cost you alot
of trouble if you dont do it)

11) Use a partition program to resize the fat partition to make room for the
Linux install. I used Partition Magic, but there are others out there. FIPS,
which is included with most Linux distros or downloadable for free. Another
you can get for free is the Ranish Partition Manager, a link can be found at
the XOSL site.

12) Start the Linux install, and add your new partitions, you will need at the
least a primary Linux partion, and a Linux swap partition. With Redhat you can
use either DiskDruid (easier if you have followed the instructions so far) or
youcan use fdisk.

13) MOST IMPORTANTLY, when you get to the install lilo part,
DO NOT INSTALL TO THE MASTER BOOT RECORD. install to the linux partition.

14) After the install, use the  "Setup " at XOSL screen, add your new Linux
partition, name it what you want.  I move mine to boot Linux as first choice,
and when you return to the main XOSL screen, wahlah, you can boot into either.

    I have installed XOSL to multi-boot several of my machines, and always use
it when I install on Linux on someone elses if they want dual boot. I insist
on it for  newbies. Because, should they screw up linux somehow, they can
still get on the internet for help.

    One more thing is, if they screw up Linux too badly and have to
re-install. It doesnt screw up getting to the other OSs you have on other
partitions. And once you reinstall, it will boot to that partition you screwed
up to begin with.

Actually, you can use XOSL to boot many different operating systems. I have
used it to multi-boot into DOS, Windows, NT, BeoS, and 3 or 4 different
versions of Linux, all them being installed at the same time.  Yes, it is
possible ot even have NT and widows on the same machine, although you have to
use mutiple drives.

If for some reason you change your mind, and dont want to use XOSL any longer,
just reboot into DOS. Choose windows, and hit F-8 immediately. Go to the
XOSL directory. Run the install program which gives you the option of
uninstalling. ** It will restore your master boot record, so you will have to
use your rescue disk to boot linux, and then reconfigure lilo. Or you can use
some other boot manager. There are a few others that have started using XOSL,
and I havent heard any complaints from them.

Sory it was so lenghtly, but soempeople may need a more detailed explanation.

Kevin