[NTLUG:Discuss] NNTP Access on NTLUG.org

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at hex.net
Mon Sep 4 13:50:52 CDT 2000

On Mon, 04 Sep 2000 13:17:15 CDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Richard Cobbe <cobbe at directlink.net>  said:
> Lo, on Sunday, 3 September, 2000, Rick Cook did write:
> > Hello all,
> > As of approximately 2100, 3 September 2000, the North Texas Linux Users
> > Group, Inc. website and mailing lists are now hosted on our donated
> > VARstation.
> >
> > We have made one change in the operation of the server. The HyperNews forum
> > have been replaced with a set of local to ntlug.org newsgroups. See:
> >
> > 	http://www.ntlug.org/forums
> >
> > for further information.
> >
> > Please let me know of any strange behavior.
>
> Only one problem: where's the NNTP server for these groups?  Or are they
> being carried by most local ISPs and just haven't propagated out to mine
> yet?

Relevant URLs:

Note on ntlug.issues that Scott Womer has mentioned a few issues as to
management of the newsgroups; they _are_ reasonable concerns, including:
- Expiry policy [probably should be "don't do it"]
- Moderation [spam and such should get nuked; this is the exception to
  the expiry policy, namely that some stuff should be "expired on
  sight..."]
- Issue of "ease of use" of accessing the newsgroups.
  [My suggestion: the URLs above are _extremely_ relevant, and, for
   those using web browsers, should provide _reasonably_ easy
   routes in to get at the fora...]
--
cbbrowne at hex.net - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
If only women came with pull-down menus and online help.