[NTLUG:Discuss] Mac's and linux

Rick Cook rcook at hex.net
Sat Sep 16 19:22:42 CDT 2000

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, cb wrote:
> this mac is going to the thrift store!  thank you for answering.

Before you go that far, there is support in work for the 62xx class machines,
both in native Linux and in MkLinux:

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Takashi Oe wrote:
>Re: [ANN] Native Linux for NuBus Power Macs
> Hi,
>
> The port has been available for a while, but, until now, it was too
> unstable.  I think most of the major bugs are fixed, and, hence, comes
> this announcement.
>
> Binaries and sources in the form of patches against popular kernel trees
> linux-pmac-devel or linuxppc_2_3 bk are available at
>
> ftp://ppc.linux.or.jp/pub/users/toe/nubus-pmac/
>
> By the way, for those of you on the other side of the Pacific I stuck acopy
> at ftp://penguinppc.org/users/hollis/nubus-pmac. It's not automatically
> updated or anything; it's just for convenience (at least a few days ago
> connections to ppc.linux.or.jp were horribly slow).

And from mklinux-setup and linuxppc.org:

> MkLinux on PowerMac 5200/5300/6200/6300

As of July 31, 2000, the PowerMac 5200/5300/6200/6300 family of computers, and
their Performa equivalents, are officially supported in MkLinux. Please NOTE
that only the 6214 has been tested, so there may be some small snags in some of
the others.

        Caveats:

               Sound is not supported yet. That's the next priority....
               SCSI is working, but rather slow. It's partially hardware at
                    fault, and partially a lack of pseudo-DMA code. Oh well. It
                    "mostly works." As always, your mileage may vary.
                    Serial is untested. It should work, but again, YMMV.

You can download the kernel from ftp://ftp.mklinux.org. The README file is in
the same directory.

My wife has a Performa 6300 that I have not yet had time to try either of these
kernels on, (I have been configuring Yellowdog and SuSE on my "new" 7300) but I
expect to try them sometime soon.

Good Luck,

Rick Cook
rcook at ntlug.org