[NTLUG:Discuss] Umax scanner

clyde swann swannc at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 19:23:20 CDT 2000

If your scanner's scsi connection is 50 pin high density, take a look at the
adaptec 2930 ultra scsi card, a $100 bucks at Frys.  If you want to go usb
identify the scanning software that will support that protocol before you
spend to much time on the hardware side.  You might also consider upgrading
to Redhat 7.0 which is supposed to have improved usb support.  I got tired
of trying to make usb work with my asus p2b-f motherboard and HP 6300
scanner.  I had no problem with the above mentioned scsi card on RH v6.2,
just plug-n-play.  I just upgraded to RH 7.0 and am in the process of
reloading the scanning software, Xvscan.  This software supports scsi only
and uses the generic scsi driver in linux.  Works great!