[NTLUG:Discuss] Disabling ATX softpower switches?

Michael Hart Just_Mike_Y at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 22 11:17:13 CDT 2000

I'm working on a design for a linux cluster, and need help with a
hardware design problem.

I need a scheme to keep the boxes on, even after power failures (even
those failures greater than an hour.) The ATX boards I've seen don't
have an option to keep the computer booted anytime they are plugged in,
which results in a person having the physically switch on the box, or
wait for an alarm, or other trigger.  I've been planning to use AT
motherboards to work around this problem, but I haven't found an AT
board that supports high end processors (Athlon/200mhz FSB.)

Solutions in order of preference:
1. Does anyone know of a AT board that supports a 200mhz FSB?
2. Has anyone already dealt with this problem and know of a ATX board
that supports 'always on' or a way to short the switch so its always on?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Hart