[NTLUG:Discuss] Setting the default GW at boot

Phil Carinhas pac at fortuitous.com
Wed Dec 27 12:51:38 CST 2000

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 11:50:07PM -0600, Jason Fortezzo wrote:
> At 10:32 PM 12/26/2000, you wrote:
>  >
>  >  I thought we were talking about Linux, ROUTE(8), and not the RFC's !?
>
> My apologies, to me it seemed you were making a blanket statement about
> only one default route being possible period, anywhere.

 Actually I wish Linux DID have multiple Default Gateways because
 that would make dynamic routing much easier. It seems like even
 the new IP tools in 2.2 kernels has only one default route.

 What happens when your default route dies? I suppose you could be
  connected to a real router with multple default routes, but this
  prevents you from doing it directly. Also if the NIC in your Linux
  server goes, you will still have a headache.

  The only thing I can see that would work in Linux is a load
  sharing setup like in
http://www.ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-8.html#ss8.5

 but its not straight forward (to me).
--