[NTLUG:Discuss] RMS's Speach

WILLIAM PEARSON WPEARSON at cyclix.com
Mon Feb 5 17:58:01 CST 2001

Hello,

I've often wondered how much free source code is actually used in liscenced
software. Especially since the only way to find out is to go through the
source code or to reverse engineer the software, which is not only very
difficult but becoming increasingly illegal (take the DMCA for instance, or
in certain liscence agreements). Good luck getting a copy of the source
code for any peice of M$ software if your not a corporation which would
have to pay anyways, just to see if they used a slightly modified version
of your cool new audio protocol in their latest version of Media Player. Or
perhaps not even M$ at all, perhaps the Real Player people. The situations
this has and can apply to are almost infinite. Unless they document your
name somewhere, it's practically impossible to find out if they stole the
code you created. After all, if it's illegal to reverse engineer the code
how can you find out. If you do reverse engineer the code anyways and call
them upon it because they didn't give you the code they'll sue you for
breaking the liscence agreement or under any new law that restricts trying
to figure out how something you bought works.

The Open Source movement may inadvertently be fueling certain parts of the
commercial software industry. All that has to be done is to cut & past and
viola, new program that you've got to pay for, with peices of free code in
it. Nvidia a while back 'accidentally' cut and pasted some code from a free
Linux video driver for one of their GeForce drivers. Nvidia confirmed that
and fixed it, so I read on Slashdot anyways. So it has and will continue to
happen.

Will Pearson