[NTLUG:Discuss] attn: newbies!

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at localhost.brownes.org
Mon Apr 9 20:47:13 CDT 2001

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:11:44 CDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Steve Baker <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>  said:
> "George E. Lass" wrote:
> > Although I'm not a newbie, might I suggest a page that
> > lists Linux alternatives to various windoze apps?  For
> > example:
> >
> > Star Office / M$ Office
> > AbiWord / M$ Word
> > Acrobat / Acrobat
> > Netscape / Netscape or IE
> > Gimp / Photoshop
>
> Blender             --> 3DStudio
> GCC + Code Crusader --> MSVC
> tcsh/bash           --> DOS
> gzip/zip            --> WinZip
>
> ...and more importantly of course...
>
> Tux the Penguin        --> The PaperClip
> The real thing         --> Cygwin
> The 'bsod' screensaver --> The real thing

For Quicken, GnuCash is becoming an increasingly capable alternative.

And I have to point out the alternative to the Dancing PaperClip, an
"assistant" to VI known as "VIGOR" (pronounced with the same accenting
as the name of Dr. Frankenstein's assistant, Igor):
   <http://www.red-bean.com/~joelh/vigor/>
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/resume.html