[NTLUG:Discuss] Delivering root mail without MTA

David South Jr djsouth at monolithic.com
Mon Apr 9 22:20:35 CDT 2001

I would like to deliver 'root' mail and system messages to my standard e-mail
box without using a Mail Transport Agent (MTA) on the box.

For example, I am creating a box for mirroring all the servers and laptops for
backup. The box will be headless and placed in a small fireproof building
several hundred feet from the main office. It only mirrors other computers and
does not need anything more than the ability to e-mail me messages regarding
cron scripts.

Why do I need to load and secure sendmail/qmail/postfix when it is only going to
deliver basic messages.

Does anyone know how to do this?

DJ