[NTLUG:Discuss] verifying delivery to a specific recipient wi th sendmail

Gregory L. Camp Greg.Camp at osc.com
Wed Apr 11 08:52:03 CDT 2001

Well, unfortunately many MTA's don't support/enable the VRFY (verify)
command.  That is *supposed* to let you know if a particular address is
valid.  However, since a would-be spammer could use that same command to
garnish "real" email addresses, most security people recommend your MTA not
enable that feature (ours at the office doesn't).

So, in short, without sending a real test message, I'm not aware of any way
to check the validity of any given email address.  Sorry!

Greg