[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: Strange Request, Maybe?

Bug Hunter bughuntr at one.ctelcom.net
Thu May 10 08:50:30 CDT 2001

  If you are paranoid about power loss problems, put a cron job that runs
/bin/sync once every 5 minutes.

  After doing this, we have not yet had an ext2 drive fail to
automatically fsck during boot up without human intervention.  Before
this, about 1 of 3 power ups required human intervention.

bug

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Chris Cox wrote:

> Will Senn wrote:
> > I don't pretend to understand the internals of any filesystem,
> > however, I have certainly had my share of filesystem issues in linux
> > from unexpected power loss.
>
> THIS had NOTHING to do with power loss... I think you missed
> the point... NT crashed and failed to reboot successfully at ALL.
> No startup screen, no nothing.... was not due to a power loss,
> happened after getting a BSOD.
>
> As I mentioned, both filesystems will exhibit abnormal behavior
> in certain circumstances on power hits.  ext2 could be more
> susceptible strictly because of how it buffers things... where
> NT has an all-or-nothing style (heavy cache, heavy write).
<snip>