[NTLUG:Discuss] vendor problem

Steve Jackson sjackson at stratmarkcorp.com
Thu May 17 16:19:03 CDT 2001

I just purchased a COBOL (don't dog me out, it's for some legacy apps that
we run) runtime/compiler from Liant software for Linux.  I tried running the
executables on my Linux machine (SuSE 6.3) and got the message:

bash: ./rmcobol: No such file or directory

Yes, I used the right path.  Yes, the file is in my current directory.  Yes,
it has execute permission.

I've seen this before and have tracked it to the binary being incompatible
with the current system (libraries, whatever).  So, I loaded up SuSE 7.1
with kernel 2.4.2 thinking that maybe I needed the latest stuff to run this
(I needed to update anyway).  Well, I still got the same message.

Interestingly, the executables work fine on a Unixware 7.1 machine that I
have.  Even the distro media that the COBOL stuff came on is labeled:

"Intel Unix SVR4"

even though they market and sell it as a compiler for Linux.

I contacted tech support and got a completely clueless person (surprise,
surprise) trying to assist me.  She claims that they have tested these
executables on RedHat 5.1, 5.2 and 6.0 without any problems.

So, since I don't have a RedHat 5.1, 5.2 or 6.0 machine laying around I was
hoping that one of the fine NTLUG members could help me out and try to run
this executable on their system (unless anyone has any other ideas).  If you
can help, please contact me directly (sjackson at stratmarkcorp.com) and I'll
email/ftp/whatever the executable to you.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas?

This isn't the first time I've ran across a vendor selling a product for
Linux that isn't designed for Linux.  That's ok however, as long as the
product actually works on Linux.

One time I demo'd a compiler for Linux on Alpha that a different company was
selling.  I couldn't get it to run either, and later found out that they had
gotten the port from a software firm in Singapore without even testing it.
Interesting.