[NTLUG:Discuss] strange networking problem

m m llliiilll at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:00:57 CDT 2001

Hi All:
I have a very odd networking problem.

I have assign an inteenal ip to my boxes. they are from 192.168.1.1 -
192.168.1.5,
the 1.1 is the firewall, the 1.1, 1.2 are Linux, and 1.3 is NT, 1.4 is M$98,
and the 1.5 is M$98 (foreign language virson).
the problem is I all those boxes (except the 1.5 one) can connect to
internet.
check with the firewall box, the 1.5 always be in the /etc/hosts.deny list.
I delete the line and reboot, it works, which means the box can connect to
the internet. but a minute later or reboot the box, it is blocked by the
firewall again. check with the firewall settings (ipchains, ipmasq,...), the
settings for them are all the same.
use RH 6.2 with ipchains, ip masgrade, portcentry.
Does any have clue?
thanks.