[NTLUG:Discuss] RH 7.1

Josh Miller josh_b_miller at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 14:31:39 CDT 2001

I have an old 166 mhz.  Tried putting Mandrake 7.2 on it, and due to a
slight oversight on my part It fluked, just as I found my RH 7.1 CD.

So I put the Redhat on as its just a tad more new.

The redhat install will not load the kernel.  and boot disks made on my PC
can't load the 2.4.2 kernel that is with Redhat.

With a boot disk, the image is loading and interupted with a Boot failure,
insert new disk.

Put the HD in my PC and installed linux on it thinking it was something in
the Bootdisk Kernel.  When booting on the 166  The Bzimage decompresses, and
starts loading when it just halts.

Does anyone know of this as a Kernel problem?  is there a sure fire way yo
build a kernal with all worstcase compatability config, with out just
looking thru it all?

The Drive does have the Westerndigital LBA support for non LBA MBs even
though the PC does support LBA. ( hey free extra PC can't help everything)
But I would think if that was the problem, then it woudln't have worked on
my PIII.

I can just go back to Mandrake, but I hate to not know why it is failing.

I can use the Mandrake "linux rescue" option to mount the drives to get to
the drives, but so far as I know, nothign shoulc be logged that early in the
process.

Any ideas, or experience would help.

Thanks,
   Josh Miller