[NTLUG:Discuss] New findings on cable modem issue

Kenneth Loafman ken at lt.com
Fri Aug 17 06:48:56 CDT 2001

Here's one thing to try.  Some hubs/switches are not compatible with
all NIC's.  Surprise, but its true.  I've got 3 or 4 different brands
of NIC's in the computers at home and an el-cheapo hub.  All works
well.  A friend's laptop with yet another brand of NIC will not work
at all most of the time and will sometimes work with very long ping
times.  Weird, yes, but its happened at work and other places, so go
get another hub and try that if you've ruled everything else out.  It
could be the cable modem going into the hub, also.

...Ken