[NTLUG:Discuss] NFS Network File sharing between two linux machines

Patrick Parks patrick at patrickparks.com
Fri Aug 24 20:20:24 CDT 2001

On Fri, 2001-08-24 at 17:42, Greg Edwards wrote:

> Did you restart nfs after you updated /etc/exports?

Yes, I restarted nfs and it did not work, and I rebooted and it still
did not work

> Did you add a mount point to the other end?

I have a mount point /home/pparks/network/server on my laptop (Client)

> There are 3 ways to do an NFS mount point.  Manually from the command
> line

This one is the way I do it. mount 65.xx.20.xx/home/pparks
/home/pparks/network/server

 /etc/fstab either auto or manual

ok, I went into linuxconf then File system, then Acess nfs volume and
added the entry their. Only problem with that is on boot up on my
laptop, my eth0 tries to start before card services (pcmcia) and it
fails (delayed) then my nfs tries to mount and fails because eth0 and
card services have not been initiated. Then finally card services
starts, and my eth0 also inits, but it is too late  for the nfs.

 and with an automounter.  I
> always use autofs personally.

ok, how do I use autofs? I browsed to /usr/lib/autofs, which is where
any reference to a locate autofs pointed and there are a bunch of .so
files and a autofs-ldap-auto-master file. Ok, I just pulled up the man
file for autofs, and it is saying something about auto.master config
file. I will read it and see if I can figure it out, and send this out
to you guys and see what you think. thanks

           ,,,,
          (O O)
|     Patrick Parks      |
|  www.patrickparks.com  |