[NTLUG:Discuss] SSL - Using Self-Signed certificates

Richard Geoffrion richard at rain.lewisville.tx.us
Sun Aug 26 01:58:14 CDT 2001

Brief:  How do you make Outlook Express (and M$ Internet Explorer) install a
self signed certificate?

Verbose:

OK..  A.L.Lambert would be proud.  I'm building a new server to replace my
current one and I'm converting over to qmail, vpopmail, qmailadmin, and
(probably) sqwebmail.  I'm also using the COURIER-IMAP server because I'm
switching to the MAILDIRS instead of the old /var/spool/mail method.  I have
both the QMail and COURIER-IMAP servers installed and working.  I have even
generated the SSL certificate for COURIER to use.

-however-

Stink'in OE asks me each and every time I access that SSL enabled IMAP
account, "The server you are connecting to is using a security certificate
that does not match its Internet address."

The Netscape browser seems to install the certificate provided when entering
webmin, but I've had no such luck with Internet Explorer installing the
webmin SSL certificate.  As for Outlook Express, I don't even see a way to
install the SSL certificate.

So the questions I have are....

1)  Am I supposed to have just ONE ssl certificate that can be installed in
various locations to be used by various programs?
2)  Is there some utility that exports the SSL certificate into some M$
compatible format.
3)  Should I just start using 'stunnel'? (I found that when I was
researching this SSL problem.
4)  Would switching IMAP servers make any difference or is it M$'s fault the
cert is not being accepted?