[NTLUG:Discuss] A Vulnerability question

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Mon Oct 8 11:15:26 CDT 2001

Hear, hear!!

Paranoia is not only good, it is essential!

Any production system (or just one you care about) should really be
analyzed from a hardening point of view.  Firewalls _should_ be built
from a default deny perspective, though that means lots of things
don't work for a while.

Questions to ask
1) Do I really need this piece of software?
2) What opportunities for abuse does this software present?
3) What steps will I need to take to work around not having this
software?

Take printing for instance.
1) Why do you need to print from a firewall host?  configs?
2) Lots of opportunites since most spoolers run as root.
3) Scp the file to another box and print it, or start lpd just when you
need it.

Jim Wildman                                            jim at rossberry.com

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Steve wrote:

> Randall Gibson wrote:
>
> I get the feeling that the paranoia level of people building their own firewalls
> is not high enough. They have a firewall that apparently works and so that's the
> end of the story with their firewall. Understanding firewalls takes a decent
> amount of effort and time. It's not a one shot deal.
<snip>