[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: Micro$oft is killing small town budgets- no mention of analternative?

Fred James fredjame at concentric.net
Mon Oct 8 17:24:57 CDT 2001

Again, while I'm not having total success, I'm not having too much
trouble with StarOffice translating MS documents (Word or Excel - I
should have mentioned that) that come from Intel based machines, though
I haven't seen any PowerPoint as yet.  My problems seem to come from MAC
users of Word and Excel, and from Lotus Notes users in general (though
these may be the MAC users again - I haven't been able to isolate them
as yet).

I like WordPerfect - a lot - but I moved to StarOffice because it has
all the stuff I want to use, integrated, and I am a little lazy (OK, a
lot lazy).

It never has been a perfect, heterogeneous world, not even within the
*nix part of the world.  I had held hopes for the browser interface
helping out on that - oh, well, maybe next time.

My thought on "unimportant" is that in any communication attempt the
"speaker" and the "listener" each have their job to do, and if the
"speaker" is unwilling to do their part there isn't much I can do.  Does
anyone know of a law that might place one under some obligation for a
message sent to one?

Steve Baker wrote:

> Fred James wrote:
>
>>I try to open such documents in StarOffice52 - if that doesn't work, I
>>just assume the document isn't important (same for MS specific web sites).
>>

> Well, yes - and some Word docs come out OK in WordPerfect.  You can also
> get a quick idea of what something's about by running it through the
> command-line catdoc filter.
>
> However, that's not really the point - I also get documents in Excel and
> Powerpoint formats - same problem.

...make every program a filter...