[NTLUG:Discuss] YAS Yet Another Script

Wrenn, Bobby J. Bobby.Wrenn at banctec.com
Fri Oct 12 09:01:52 CDT 2001

Well, that mostly worked. The input ".csv" file has several lines which look
like this:

A3189A,1,HP 9000 K460 Upgrade

The output file looks like this:

CPSUB BTEC AMER K420,

for as many lines as are in the input file.

What I need is lines like this:

CPSUB BTEC AMER K420,A3189A,1,HP 9000 K460 Upgrade

for each line in the input file.

Here is the original script:

#!/bin/bash
for file in *.csv
	do
		basefile=`basename "$file" .csv`
		for lines in `cat "$file" | sed -e "s/ /__/g"`
			do
		 		echo "$basefile,$line" | sed -e "s/__/ /g"
>> "$basefile.asc"
			done
	done

I think I see the problem. Which means I may be actually learning something.
The echo line calls the variable $line. But I don't see it either defined or
read.

Here is a suggestion for a presentation "Regular Expressions" and "Shell
Scripting".

Thanks again,
Bobby