[NTLUG:Discuss] sound problems

Michael B. Lee mlee at texas.no-ip.com
Sun Oct 28 13:57:39 CST 2001

Hmm.

Someone kick me in the head. And then tell me how to fix my soundcard.
I've got this ISA OPL3-SAX soundcard. I just ran sndconfig on it, and
after a little bit of griping (said it couldn't automatically install it)
I seem to have installed it. sndconfig is happy. and kudzu is happy.

And if I run xawtv, I get my sound just fine.

But if I try to run mpg123, I get the following error:

kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

But I don't see anything wrong with my /etc/modules.conf or /etc/ioports
(no conflicts). And I notice one other strange thing:  instead of
/etc/isapnp.conf I have a file called /etc/isapnp.gone???

This is what it says:

# This file contains a list of ISA resources that are unavailable
# for PnP allocation. This may be (for instance) because they are
# standard motherboard resources, or because there is a non-PnP
# ISA card using the resources, or a device driver hasn't been
# loaded yet, so there is no sign of the resources being in use
# in /proc/*

But if this was really my problem, why does kudzu, sndconfig, and xawtv
all like my soundcard, but not mpg123?????????????????

Help?

Thanks!

-- Michael