[NTLUG:Discuss] Job Searching

Fred James fredjame at concentric.net
Thu Nov 8 20:22:48 CST 2001

Not sure this is much help, but it might be, and it might be fun even if
it isn't.

www.dismal.com has a new "layoff calculator" meant to forecast your
chances are of being laid off by the end of 2002.  Numbers of 25 to 30
percent are high, and the mean (or did they say average) is about 5
percent.  A co-worker and I ran it for our employer's zip code in
Irving, Texas, and came up with a number of 3.something percent, which
is suppose to mean we are in pretty good shape.  If you run it for KC,
maybe you could tell us what your number is.  The whole thing might be
encouraging, or not, but it might be a grin, and of course no one is
touting the results as meaningful in anyway.

Good luck, no matter what.
PS:  I am sorry I cannot recommend you apply at my employer - we just
went through a couple of rounds of layoffs.  Of course you never know,
so if I hear of anything later I'll mention it.

--
...make every program a filter...