[NTLUG:Discuss] Job Searching

Daniel Hauck xdesign at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:38:45 CST 2001

Those figures are easily misleading if there is any truth to it at all.

2:1 jobs?  I don't think so.  And we all know that the general
classification of "techie" only makes sense to non-techie people.  What kind
of "techie" am I?  What kind are you?  Are you a programmer techie?  An
administrative techie?  A support techie?  Clearly, all fields have dropped
in demand, but some are lower than others.  I am hopeful, however, due to
several world events that may shift things within the next six months:

1. The Microsoft thing is nearing a close and public opinion of Microsoft is
dropping rapidly with Nimda, Code Red and a ton of scripting viruses all
hitting the news plus a few that haven't yet.  Microsoft is predicted to go
the way of IBM in favor of more 'generic providers.'
2. War on 'terrorism' may soon become war on Afghanistan and possibly even
Pakistan if a predicted coup takes place there will lead to more jobs for
me... younger "techies" will be pulled into battle leaving jobs vacant and
in need of some of these "older" [read: outdated] techies.

<OT_Rant> Does "War on Terrorism" sound too similar to "War on Drugs" to
you?  They're chasing an uncatchable ghost.  Even if Bin Laden were captured
and/or martyrized (is that a word? no, I don't intend any connection with
dry cleaning either) there's still a thousand other terrorists out there.
Hell, Linux users could be called terrorists if SSSCA goes through...
</OT_Rant>

Maybe it's "off-color" to make positive economical statements in connection
with military escalation... I dunno, but it's a reality that can't be
ignored.

Oh yeah, I need a job too... anyone wanna add my resume to a bank of other
resumes out there?