[NTLUG:Discuss] looking for rpm tool for RH

krannen@gte.net krannen at gte.net
Wed Nov 14 00:41:50 CST 2001

Val W. Harris wrote:

> krannen at gte.net wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a nice rpm management tool for RH machines, it must be
>> non-X.
>>   For those that have seen SuSE, I need something like "yast".  [It's
>> a tool
>> that will show you what you have installed, but more importantly, will
>> also
>> show you what's on the distro CDs, and allow you to install them,
>> including
>> any dependencies.]
>>
>> Surely such a thing exists?
>>
>> Kevin

> rpm can show what's installed, where it's
> installed, what package a particular file
> came from, and where a package on CD would
> be installed, if you so choose.

...a bunch of ``rpm'' info...

> rpm is an extremely versatile package manager.
> I don't use all of its capabilities, these are
> just a few that I find handy.
>
> One failing of rpm is that it won't install dependant
> packages automatically.  The last time I ran into that
> situation, it generated an error, and I had to add the
> required package on the command line with those
> I originally attempted to install.

Yeh, and yast is good enough to see those dependencies and ask you if you want
to autoinstall them too.

Thanks Val & Jack!  Dang!  So close to what I want, yet it's just not there.
I wonder of I could get Suse's YAST to work on RH?  I guess I could write the
equivalent on RH then release it, but this itch should have been scratched by
someone by now.  (or so I would think :-)  I'll keep looking...

Kevin