[NTLUG:Discuss] Looking for opinions...

Fred James fredjame at concentric.net
Tue Nov 20 21:01:10 CST 2001

I just got RealPlayer8 installed on my Dell Latitude C800, and their
installation "demo" worked fine, now I am trying to make it work in my
Netscape 6.1 (associate the helper - is that what it is called?), but I
guess I am lost again, and probably will be with the other 2 as well.

What application file(s) am I looking for and what types will I be
associating them with?  The dialog box is looking for:
 > Description of type
 > File extensions
 > MIME type
 > Application to use

Any help you could offer would be appreciated, on any or all of these
three applications.  Or is there a Howto I should be looking at?
Thanks

Alton R. Pouncey, II wrote:

> I have all three running just fine in NS Communicator 4.78 on RH 7.2 on
> an AMD K6-2/350.  WINE should not be necessary.
>
> On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 17:11, Fred James wrote:
>
>>I am preparing to take some online classes with "UC Berkeley Extension
>>Online" and they have software requirements that include Netscape
>>Communicator and:
>> > (1) Real/Video Audio Play
>> > (2) WMacromedia Shockwave
>> > (3) Java Script enabled
>>
>>I have a couple of old Win95 machines, including one P/100, and then I
>>run Red Hat Linux (about to go to 7.2) on my faster machines.  In any
>>case my browser of choice is Netscape Communicator 4.7x on all machines,
>>  plus 6.1 on one of the Linux machines.
>>
>>Now for the opinions, please: will this work directly on Linux?  do I
>>need to go with WINE? would I be better off just loading up the old
>>Win95?  Obviously or not, I'd rather it all work on my Linux laptop, but
>>I do have to be practical.
>>
>>So, there you have it - what do you say?  If you need more facts, just ask.

...make every program a filter...