[NTLUG:Discuss] Script question

Rick Matthews Rick at Matthews.net
Sat Jan 5 22:59:27 CST 2002

Wow, thanks for all the answers! I'm just now getting a chance to work
through them.

Chris Cox wrote:

> This is somewhat unique to your situtation, due to your file naming..
> but you can probably safely eval the statements prior to execution.
> Don't quote the arguments to echo below....

I can modify the naming convention, if that will help. How would you
name them? Before you answer that question, you need to know a few
additional facts:

#- The create_domains_file job may not run for several days, or it may
run more than once in a day.

#- The use_domains_file job runs independently of the file creation job,
and runs once or twice a day. It uses the "current" domains* file,
selected by the '0'.

#- Much of the data used in the create_domains_file job is received from
outside sources. Occasionally, I find out that the data supplied by the
outside sources was incorrectly selected (but it seems that is never
discovered until after the use_domains_file job has run on the bad
data). Today I delete the '0' file, roll back the '1' file to '0', and
rerun the use_domains_file job. The current naming convention allows an
easy roll back and easy identification of the creation date/time of the
now-current file.

I'll entertain any suggestions of alternate naming conventions.

Thanks for your help!

Rick